Thank you for all your help. The ceremony was our favorite part of our wedding day. Many of our guests raved about how beautiful the church and ceremony were! Thank you again.”
~ Amy & James Lajiness
Thank you for your interest in a wedding at St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church. We understand this is a very special day and we are ready to help you design an unforgettable and perfect wedding!
There are few places in the world more beautiful than La Jolla….and St. James by-the-Sea is a historical setting, with stained glass windows, and high wooden ceilings, designed for this perfect coastal setting. Couples from all over the United States and Canada come to have their weddings here.
Marriage is an especially powerful sacrament because we experience a depth of intimacy and union with our partner that is both spiritual and sacred. From your first meeting with one of our Clergy, to choosing the music with our Pastor for Music Ministries, our staff works closeley with each couple to create a spirtual and elegant ceremony. Our required pre-marital counseling (included in your fee) and ceremony will be held with respect and sensitivity in the Episcopal tradition.
The church can seat up to 500 guests. For the small, intimate wedding, we have a lovely chapel that seats 50 guests. The courtyard is often used for small wedding receptions, for an additonal fee. If you would like a reception for a large group, please contact our neighbor, The Abbey Catering & Event Design, who have leased our St. James Hall (now “Cuvier Club”). They are top caterers and event planners and we are proud to work with them. Their contact number is 866 535-8676 and website is www.theabbeycatering.com.
If you are considering a video recording of your wedding and reception, we suggest our partner, Always Scene II. The videographer and editor is also an Episcopal priest, Fr. Steve Schuneman, who has additional access to the ceremony not allowed to other videographers, and special footage of the church architecture and stained glass windows that will be edited into your final wedding video. For a sample of their product, the Always Scene II website is www.alwayssceneii.com. Always Scene Wedding Photograpy Brochure
To help you discern whether this is the church for you, please review the following wedding policy. After reading this abridged policy, please call the church office at (858) 459-3421 for further information in regards to remarriages after divorce, meeting with our clergy, scheduling your wedding and rehearsal date, and included services.
- One of the parties must have been or is willing to be baptized in a Trinitarian Christian Church.
- The couple agree to participate in all premarital counseling, consisting of a preliminary meeting with the clergy of St. James, five sessions with a PREPARE-ENRICH Counselor chosen in consultation with the clergy, and a follow up session with the clergy of St. James.
- The couple agree to the Episcopal Church’s definition of marriage defined in its Declaration of Intention and plan their wedding according to the “Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage” from the Book of Common Prayer, 1979.
- The couple agree that one of the clergy of St. James shall preside at their wedding.
- The average cost for a wedding at St. James is $2,400. This includes the fee for your Prepare & Enrich counseling (4 to 6 sessions), organist, printed programs, coordinator, facilties and sexton, altar flowers, meetings with the Clergy and our Pastor for Music Ministries. Please call for more information 858 459-3421.